Hello, trainers, coaches, and teachers!
Here is information for excellent human beings interested in joining The BE Athletic team of trainers, coaches, and teachers. The first part is our Vision, Mission, and Culture Statement. We take this shit seriously. It’s what The BE is all about. If you don’t vibe with our V/M/C, that’s the first indication that maybe this isn’t the place for you. The second part outlines all of our expectations and requirements of employment at The BE. If being an employee with many expectations and requirements doesn’t appeal to you, that’s also understandable! Because this isn’t for everybody. If you read all of this and think, I love that vision! I am on board with all of this stuff I have to do! And, I am so down to lead these classes! Then, let’s talk!
Our Vision, Mission, Culture, and Story
The Body Electric Yoga and Athletic Companies provide supportive and beautiful environments to improve the health and happiness of the people of Tampa Bay. We are an inclusive and outward-looking community that is non-intimidating and non-dogmatic in our approaches and philosophies. We provide high-quality instruction and coaching, drawing from many modes and lineages. We believe in the personal and cultural benefits of yoga practices and mindful physical fitness. Our goal is to uplift the entire region by improving the well-being of every individual we reach, and to reach as many individuals as possible. We believe people should be empowered to become their own best coaches and teachers, and we strive to provide customizable models of fitness. We believe in giving people agency and tools so that they may create a sustainably healthy lifestyle.
The Body Electric Yoga Company began as the lovechild of Katelyn Grady and Jenny Miller, yoga teachers, business and life partners who hatched a plan to create the kind of space in which they would like to practice and teach. For two years they schemed, working their day jobs, building their brand, and writing many business plans in a fruitless effort to secure a commercial loan. In the end, they were able to open with their small savings and a lot of help from some very good friends. They rented half of the building at 7th St N and 30th Ave. N in St. Petersburg, Florida, a former ice house with a friendly landlord. With a beautiful, historic space and just four teachers, they opened their doors on March 4, 2013.
There were 21 classes on the weekly schedule, and their operations manual consisted of one yellow Post-It Note with three rules written on it:
- Be 30 minutes early
- No shit talk of any kind
- Long Savasanas
Since then, The BE has grown into two entities and facilities: The Body Electric Yoga Company, and The Body Electric Athletic Company, offering close to 100 weekly live and virtual classes, with more than 50 instructors and staff, workshops featuring homegrown and internationally-recognized teachers, and many offsite events at community-oriented businesses around town. The studio has its own service organization called The BE Good Club, a book club, classes for kids, a Karma Crew program, and partnerships and special events too numerous to list. The BE now serves thousands of students every week.
In 2016 the enterprise expanded into the entire building at 3015 7th St, creating three practice rooms, a large lobby with a retail area and showers, and a teacher’s lounge. The addition of regular staff improved the entire customer experience, allowing the studio to be open for business 8:00am-8:00pm, 7 days a week. The retail store, The Om Depot, offers the community a place to find high-quality yoga and fitness clothes, mats, and products by local-makers.
In January 2020, The Body Electric Athletic Company opened. The BE Athletic is a 15,000 sq ft mindful fitness facility located in South St. Pete. The new BE offers group fitness classes with the same core values and vibes our clients have come to expect. In three large studios we’ve got Strength, Conditioning, Combo, Loaded Yoga, Core Awareness, Active Recovery, Bodyweight Workouts, Oxygen Optimization, “Baby Optional” classes and more. An open gym and ice baths are available for our members’ use. Our goals are to offer a mindful, sustainable fitness practice that empowers each individual to be their own best coach. We’re excited to finally be able to reopen childcare in the new space (after COVID), and we are working on an in-house juice bar as well.
The growth of The BE has been swift but organic, relying on its original core values: to create an outward-looking, supportive space for people to practice becoming their best selves. Rather than trading on yoga’s esoterica and mystique, The BE strives to make the practice accessible. We believe yoga is a living, adaptable technology that we actively reorient to continue addressing its original inquiry: how best to live? As with language, it’s today’s users who keep the tool sharp and vibrant, and so we are not beholden to any great book or lineage, though we are committed students of yoga’s history and philosophies. Free from dogma, we explore, ask questions, and experiment with many styles and modalities.
Today, we believe there is an offering on our schedule for everybody. Whether you’re a gym rat or straight off the couch, a veteran yogi or “the world’s tightest person,” we’ve got something for you. We still stand behind our original motto: At The Body Electric Yoga Company, we believe that yoga is for everyone. Even you.
- WELCOMING. I make everyone feel like family. There is no hierarchy of status here and no guru, but instead I am empowered to become my own best teacher.
- OPEN. I believe that yoga and fitness are like language, a living thing, kept alive and relevant by its users. I am non-dogmatic in my approaches and philosophies, welcoming ideas from all styles, studios, lineages, and teachers, as well as other modalities. I don’t say there is a right way or a wrong way. I actively adapt and implement new knowledge.
- COMMUNITY-MINDED. I am outward-looking and community-minded. I believe in the personal and cultural benefits of yoga practices and mindful mental and physical fitness. I believe that what I do has the power to uplift our city and world, and so I partner with many entities to spread the good word of yoga and fitness.
- EXCELLENT. I don’t rest on my laurels but never stop learning and improving. I am authentic to myself, always growing and not beholden to any tradition.
- FUN. I like fun and don’t take myself too seriously. I make yoga and fitness accessible without dumbing it down. I retain beginner’s mind and check my ego.
- INCLUSIVE. I am committed to cultivating a diverse community, in which all people belong. I work to make sure all people feel respected, valued and seen for who they are as individuals. I am cognizant of personal and cultural biases, and curious about the realities and ideas of other people.
- ORGANICALLY-GROWN. I make decisions and expand in ways that are natural and in line with these core values.
The locally-rooted and nationally-recognized home of client-centered mindful movement practices.
So you think you want to work here?
Ways to be extra valuable and loved at The BE:
- Loving The BE!
- Subbing willingly
- Subbing emergency style
- Ability to teach/sub a variety of styles
- Provides a unique skillset
- Does Members Only workshops!
- Does By Donation workshops!
- Kills it on social
- Continuous professional development
- Great at the front desk and with people in general
- Consistently great reviews
- Participates! Attends classes, teacher meetings, assigns and completes homework.
- Almost independently runs her own program
- Says YES to the important stuff, the weird stuff, the uncomfortable stuff that doesn’t pay the most
- Teaches and subs VV
- Knows everything that’s going on at The BE
- Exclusive to The BE
- Open-minded, self-challenging, accepts feedback, willingness to change
- A loving presence
- Master of space-holding
- Willingly provides special talent
- Experience, consistency and professionalism
- Cares about the details
- Time served being awesome at everything